Possible Causes: Excessive heat and/or lack of shade, overexertion, lack of water (animals differ in how much heat they can tolerate; even mildly warm, humid temperatures can stress some pets; short-nosed breeds most susceptible).
- Place in cool or shaded area.
- Immediately bathe animal with tepid water (do not leave pet unattended while soaking, even if conscious).
- Monitor rectal temperature. When temperature drops to 103 F(39.5 C), dry pet.
- Continue monitoring temperature and transport to clinic.
- Do not allow animal to become excessively chilled.