- Lay animal on side and remove any obstruction in airway (open mouth, pull tongue forward, extend neck and visually inspect).
- If airway is clear, extend neck, hold tongue out of mouth, and close animal’s jaws over tongue.
- Holding jaws closed, breathe into both nostrils for 5-6 breaths. If no response, continue artificial respiration (see below). If there is also no pulse, begin cardiac compressions.
- Depress widest part of chest wall 1.5 to 3 inches with one or two hands:
- For very small animals, 1-5 pounds (.4kg-2.3kg), place hands around rib cage and apply cardiac massage
- 100 compressions per minute
Continue artificial respiration:
- 10 breaths per minute